The City of Adelanto permits and regulates Medicinal and Adult Use Cannabis activities in designated zones. Cannabis activity is permitted with a Conditional Use Permit in the following zones: Light Manufacturing (LM), Light Manufacturing Cannabis Only (LMCO), Manufacturing Industrial (MI), and Airport Development District (ADD). All applicants are responsible for reading and understanding both State and City regulations. Please review all information below before submitting an application.
There are two types of permits needed to operate a Cannabis Business: a Land Use Entitlement, and a Cannabis Permit (or permits). Cannabis permits are subject to the details of your business plan; you apply for the cannabis permits you plan to operate. The Land Use approval needed are determined by your development process. If you are developing vacant land, you will need a Location Development Plan, (to show your plans for the development of the site,) a Conditional Use Permit, (to request approval for a special use on your land,) and will also need to apply for the Environmental Assessment (to initiate the review of your project for compliance with the California Environmental Quality Act).
While you look for a site to develop, keep in mind that you will be responsible for bringing utilities (water, sewer, power, etc.) and roads to your site. Under no circumstances may a site become operational without access to utilities and roads.
Detailed information can be found in our Municipal Code
- Chapter 17.80: Cannabis Special Use
- Chapter 3.60: Cannabis Tax
- Chapter 17.130: Conditional Use Permit
- Chapter 17.150: Location Development Plan
Please follow this link to the state of California's Cannabis Portal where you will find more information and links to the three State licensing agencies: The Bureau of Cannabis Control, the California Department of Public Health, and the California Department of Food and Agriculture. Questions regarding the State licensing process should be directed to the appropriate State agency, not to the City.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q:What is the application fee?
A: The application fee is $7000 per use and is non-refundable. Land Use application fees are separate.
Q: Where can I start a Cannabis business?
A: Before applying, applicants must secure property within the City of Adelanto in one of the approved zones. Applicant will be asked to provide a copy of the lease agreement for tenants, or a grant deed for property owners.
Q: What approvals do I need?
A: Operating a cannabis business in Adelanto requires two different types of approvals; you need both the Cannabis approval and a Land Use approval. If you are planning to operate within an existing building, you will need to apply for a Minor Conditional Use Permit (MCUP). If you are building a new building, you will need to apply for a Conditional Use Permit, Location Development Plan, and an Environmental Assessment. Please read the Comprehensive Land Use Application for more information.
Q: How do I check in on my application once I submit?
A: When you submit your application, you will be assigned an application number. Please have this number ready if you would like to discuss your application. Only officers on the application will be able to discuss specifics regarding the project with the Planning Division. We aim to give you comments regarding your submittal within 30. If an applicant resubmits application materials due to the department's corrections, the 30 day period may begin again. All new cannabis applications must be submitted with a full set of professionally drawn plans.
Q: What cannabis uses can I apply for?
A: Adelanto accepts applications for both Medicinal and Adult-Use cannabis, permit fees are separate for each. Adelanto accepts applications for Cannabis Cultivation, Manufacturing (volatile or non-volatile), Distribution/Transportation, Nurseries, and Testing. The City does not accept applications for Dispensaries or Non-Storefront Retail facilities at this time. Previously permitted Medicinal Dispensary operators may apply for Adult-Use Dispensary approval.
Q: Can I start my operation in temporary containers?
A: Adelanto no longer accepts applications for Temporary Use Permits for cannabis. All Land Use activities must be proposed as permanent structures. Any modular unit proposed must meet building code and will be subject to a design review.
Q: Can I build greenhouses?
A: Greenhouses are not banned, however all structures must meet building code, be fully enclosed, and screened from view.
Q: What other approvals are necessary?
A: When an application is submitted to the Planning, it is routed to different departments and agencies that may have additional requirements based on the specifics of your project. You will receive comments from these agencies and may need to make edits to your plans or to procure additional approvals. You must submit to the San Bernardino County Fire Department separately. If your site does not have access to water, sewer, or roads, the Engineering/Public Works departments will have specific requirements. Approvals from the Fire department, the Mojave Desert Air Quality Management District, the Lahontan Water Board are typically required for Cannabis related operations. Please see the flow chart below for a description of the Development Services review process.
Applications and Forms
- Rate effective June 1, 2019-Cannabis Business tax square foot remittance_form
- Cannabis Business Tax Dist, Mfg and Testing Remittance Form-Rate effective June 1, 2019
- Cannabis Business Tax Gross Receipts Remittance Form-Rate expires May 31, 2019
- Cannabis Business Tax Square Foot Remittance Form-Rate effective June 1, 2019
- Cannabis Business Tax Square Foot Remittance Form-Rate expires May 31, 2019
- Cannabis Tax Remittance Form- Retail and Special Events
Current / Active Cannabis Ordinances
History of Cannabis Ordinances
- Ordinance NO. 559 Implement and exise tax on commercial cannabis.pdf
- Amended Cannabis Ordinance No. 588
- Ordinance NO. 578 Temporary Cannabis Facilities
- Ordinance NO. 567 Medical Cannabis Cultivation Water Requirements
- Ordinance NO. 573 Medical Cannabis Transportation, to conform with state regulations
- Ordinance NO. 555 Personal Cultivation and Personal use of Cannabis
- Ordinance NO. 539 Medical Marijuana Cultivation
- Ordinance NO. 553 - Medical Cannabis Dispensaries
- Ordinance NO. 561 City Legal Authority to enter and inspect cultivation areas
- Ordinance NO. 557 Overlay Zone
- Ordinance No. 557 A, Dispensary Overlay
- Ordinance NO. 577 Create ovelay zone and establish the city cannabis overlay zones
- Ordinance NO. 569 Voluntary Square footage contribution gross receipts tax
- Ordinance NO. 563 Create an overlay zone pemitting medical cannabis activities
- Ordinance NO. 564 Restrict Medical Cannabis within city to properties within the city cannabis overlay zone
- Ordinance NO. 575 Permit certain Voluntary contributors to qualify for a reduced contribution rate
- Ordinance NO. 572 Regulate Volatile Manufacturing of cannabis within the city
- Ordinance NO. 576 Extending the manufacture indusdtrial zone correct past land use inconsistencies and extend aiport park district area
- Ordinance NO. 545 Medical Marijuana Manufacturing
- Ordinance NO. 556 Cultivation change Land Use
- Ordinance NO. 548 Regarding Distribution Transportation and Testing
- Ordinance NO. 579 Regulations pertaining to Medical Marijuana Nurseries
- Ordinance NO. 581 Eliminating FAR Requirements
- Ordinance NO. 558 Allow Indoor Medical Cannabis Manfacturing in LM Zone.pdf